Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sweet Potato Slips: How to make Sweet Potato Slips at Home in Water

Sweet potato slips are expensive. Why not plan ahead and start growing your own slips? Start about 2 months before the sweet potato planting season, which is after the last frost once the soil warms up. You will need an organic locally grown sweet potato. Do not buy the sweet potato from a big box store, instead seek out a small local co-op or organic food market. Often corporate sweet potatoes are treated with some sort of "no sprout" serum. Gross. Weird things put on/into veggies: another reason to grow your own food or shop locally.



Materials

-Organic Sweet Potato
-Jar or Glass
-Water
-Toothpicks

Instructions

1. Fill the glass with water
2. Place the toothpicks around the center of the tuber. The toothpicks are there to elevate the sweet potato, so the roots do not grow against the bottom of the glass.
3. Set the glass in an eastern facing window to receive beneficial morning sun. Yet, protecting it from the hot relentless afternoon sun.
4. Be patient, watch, and wait as the sprouts emerge and the shoots come forth.

Sweet Potato in Water waiting to root and produce shoots:


Fast Forward


Sweet Potato with roots, shoots, and slips:


Once the Potato has Produced Slips

1. Carefully twist the slip(s) off of the sweet potato.
2. Place the slip in water.
3. Wait for the individual slips to grow roots.
4. Once the roots seem stable place in a small pot with soil.
5. Let the slip get use to the soil for a few days, then transfer into garden.

Sweet potato slips placed in water to grow roots:



Slips with small roots:


The stages involved in producing sweet potato slips:





4 comments:

  1. Cool. I love sweet potatoes and have been wanting to grown them. I thought you HAD to buy slips from someone else, until I found this article. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having rеad this ӏ thought it was really enlightening.
    I apргeciatе you finding the time anԁ effoгt to put this
    infoгmatiνe article tοgether.
    I onсe аgаin fіnd myѕelf spеndіng a significаnt amount of time
    both гeading and posting comments.
    But ѕo what, it wаѕ still ωοгth it!


    Alѕο vіsit my site ... losing weight after 50

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks!
    rice supplier

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job, it’s a great post. The info is good to know! recipes brown rice Your post is providing good information. I liked it and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates. I really appreciated this post. Just want to say thank you for the information you have shared. Just continue writing this kind of post. read me This type of article is interesting and fun to read. I like reading and I am always searching for informative info like this. organic rice the time to read or take a look at the material or web sites we’ve linked to below the

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...