Monday, June 18, 2012

Vertical Gardening: A Solution for Urban Gardeners dealing with Limited Space

Gardening when Space is an Issue

I live in an apartment, so gardening space is limited. My mother sent me this video about growing cucumbers in a small raised bed with a trellis by John Collier from Growing your Greens. It is a perfect solution for people who do not have a lot of space to garden.
I decided to build my version of this raised bed for my first home urban garden. This is a picture of my raised bed vegetable garden after I first planted the plants:
My vegetable planter box as of June 18, 2012:
The planter box is 4 feet long and 18 inches wide. There are two rows with a total of 14 plants. The row along the trellis is not only cucumbers, but two other vining plants: melon and tomatoes. Vining plants are perfect for urban gardens because they can be grown vertically. The vegetable plants not along the trellis are pepper plants. Peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes can be grown together because they have similar water, nutrient, and soil needs.

This is a list of vegetable plants that are crawlers, thus perfect for vertical gardening: tomatoes, peas, beans, cucumbers, squash, melons, blackberries, grapes, and kiwi.

If you build a raised bed with a trellis post your pictures! You do not need to have a lot of land to grow your own food. There are many alternatives urban gardeners can use when starting a garden to maximize the space available. Growing your own food is fun and rewarding. Check out my top 10 Reasons Growing your own Food Rocks.

1 comment:

  1. Gгeаt website, continue the goοd
    woгk!

    Μy web page - what is going green

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...